Monday, March 02, 2009

Her Name Was Lola, She Was A Showgirl...

Lola
9/4/96 - 2/23/09


Well, I think you all know now where we got her name. We met Lola nearly 12 1/2 years ago. She was only two days old when we met her. She didn't come home with Scott and I then, but we had already "picked" her out. She was so tiny that she fit in our hands. She was so cute and "ittle."


Lola became our first child. She was our parents first "grandpup." Lola was born and raised her first 3 years in Arkansas. She was a great comfort when we needed her and lots of laughs. We would say, "Party, Lola" and suddenly she would start shaking and wagging her bottom uncontrollably. It was so funny. We are still having a good time with that.


Scott and I were discussing our favorite Lola moments on Monday night (while going through the photo albums). We had many. One of my favorites was at Christmas time when Scott had gone home to Cali. I worked long hours during the Christmas season...that's the life of retail. I would open and close sometimes which was at least a 12-hour day (longer if you count drive time). So, poor Lola could not stay outside all day and I had a neighbor that would check on her once. When I returned home that night, Lola had knocked over the Christmas tree and got the strands of lights wrapped around her neck. The tree was resting on her back horizontally and she walked around with it and all the broken ornaments. She couldn't fit through any of the doors because of the wide tree! She could only stay in the living room. Poor Lola...but she had done the same kind of thing with our blinds so often that it wasn't that big of a deal. :)


Scott's favorite was when we took her on a three-week camping trip (yeah, camping in a tent). We had broken down in a small town outside of the Redwood Forest in a town called Orick, California. Orick reminded us of something out of Twin Peaks...and that is NOT a compliment. Anywho, we had to pay a pet deposit at this sleezy motel. I mean sleezy. It was the only place in town. The curtains had holes in it. The door had tissue stuffed in holes to cover up the incoming sun. The bed was not made up (NO LIE). The bathroom, well, I still have nightmares about this place. The best part about this whole situation was we paid a pet deposit and we couldn't get Lola to enter the place. We literally had to coax her and she was UNHAPPY. Lola wasn't having any part of this place. That was hilarious!


Grant referred to Lola as his "sister." In fact, when people would ask him if he wanted any siblings, he would answer, "No, I already have a sister, her name is Lola."


Lola passed on Monday, February 23, 2009. She was the apple of our eyes. She will be missed greatly but her quality of life was deteriorating with pain and we would have none of that.


Do you have a favorite Lola moment or memory?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your triute to Lola. :)
K